Friday, July 1, 2011

Gracious words are pure....

"gracious words are pure..."

Those words shined out at me when I read Proverbs 15.  It made me think about purity.  It also made me think of how some people stress legalism for purity, and others stress that truly knowing God's grace will keep them pure in gratitude to Him.  I'm again seeing the tensions in life, and remembering dear Dr. Maxwell's famous quote, "Keep balanced!"

I want my words to be pure as I post here, or on Facebook.   And the thought comes from Psalm 119 about how can a young man (or woman) keep his ways pure?   It's by the Word of God.   Keeping in the Word.   Oh, how we need to flood our mind with the Word!  

I just read a book of a lady who went through the Holocaust.   How precious the Word became to her when she didn't have it!   How she yearned to have learned more, to have memorized more! 

May I encourage myself and you today....get in the Word every day.   If you have trouble memorizing, go over it several times til at least the thoughts are in your mind.   God can bring it back to your mind then when you need it.   But to have the exact word of God to quote to somebody needing truth is even better.

Blessings today!


8 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, and yes! I cannot say that my devotions have always been consistent. In fact, I've struggled with that for some time. I would get in verses daily...sometimes, but I wasn't really reading it to grow in Him, you know? Well, I got convicted of that! Last month I purposed to read the Bible every day and just chew on it. How it changed everything! Well, all of that to say, I hear ya, sister! I will be praying for you. I read your profile. "The LORD will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace." ~Exodus 14:14

    Living So Abundantly: New meme starting this coming Thursday, July 7, 2011, Give Back Thursday--come join the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, purity comes from the word dwelling in your hearts. And that lily you chose just emphases purity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice. It really makes me sad when some of my younger facebook friends use words that are unbecoming to a Christian. I think the world they grew up in is so different from the one I did that they think nothing of using words that I wouldn't even say out loud let alone put on facebook.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting in the Word and talking with the Lord every day makes all the difference in the world. They purity will flow from our hearts because they have been cleansed by His word. You are so right. May God bless you with peace and joy along this journey. Saying a prayer for you.
    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, read the words over several times. This practice has been such a blessing to me. When young I memorized so easily. Age takes that away. Great thought by Maxwell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always saying I will read this chapter later or that chapter tomorrow. I need to be in his word daily. Thank-you for this post today and for such an important reminder. I will pray for you daily Alice.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  7. Easter Lilies and white daisies always make me think of purity. Love you sis, EJ

    ReplyDelete